January 02, 2012

A new year, a fresh start

The new year has started. Although I like a new beginning, I'm not really into partying big on new year's eve. I like to keep it small and quiet, enjoying the closure of a year.

2011 was a year of survival. I didn't talk about it much on my blog but my mom got very ill in May 2011. She was in a coma for 9 days and has been rehabilitating since. She's doing quite well now, considering what she's been through. It made a huge impact on me. My friends tell me: "2011 was a bad year, wasn't it?". No, it wasn't. It was a year where my mother got very ill but also the year she survived and got to live, which wasn't completely expected.

2011 was also the year I first saw myself as an illustrator. In 2010 I got my first assignment for an educational publisher but in 2011 I had my first exhibition of my work (in total my work was in 4 exhibitions this year), my first assignment for a picture book and even more great assignments throughout the year. My work was even published in a great magazine. That was the cherry on top. :) I did a workshop 'writing for children' and I got started on writing my first picture book. I'm not in a hurry to finish it. I want to take time to get this right.

When I was lying in bed last night I thought: "What would I really like for 2012?". A few things actually:
- I would like to develop myself as an illustrator and become better.
- I hope to make a bit of a living as an illustrator but I don't want to stress about it too much.
- I want to enjoy small things more. Go on hikes and citytrips. That kind of stuff.

A new year

What I've learned from 2011: you can plan all you want but life is something that happens to you. You don't have a say in what's going to happen, you can only steer and tweak it a bit while you're at it.

Thank you for sticking with me, I appreciate that beyond words. I would like to hear your thoughts on 2011 and for the new year. I hope for many good things in 2012 for all of you!

Love,
Marloes

7 comments:

  1. wow, mooi gezegd en fijn dat het goed gaat met je moeder.
    de illustratie vind ik ook prachtig.
    heb het goed in 2012 en geniet van al wat je lief is !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words are very inspiring, thanks for sharing your wonderful work and this words! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ga ervoor, Marloes! Goed nieuwjaar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dank jullie allemaal voor de lieve woorden!

    Thank you for the nice words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi

    You have provided a great information about Wedding Invitation Cards, Invite cards, Business cards, wedding card Design.That are very informative for everyone.

    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a beautiful information that you have shared with us , thanks ! :)
    wedding invitation cards
    visiting card printing

    ReplyDelete